Monday 15 February 2010

'amor'etti

Excuse the pun.

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and my man certainly enjoys his food, not least anything sweet. Unfortunately for him Ive a more savoury tooth and as I'm in charge of the food shopping in our house he often gets left out. So when I was given this recipe for amaretti the other day I thought it would make a nice valentines gift for him to take to work. I knew he would really enjoy them with a strong cup of coffee, whilst stood at his potting table contemplating his navel.


I ditched the traditional reds and pinks associated with love and decided to go for more masculine colours, packaging the goodies up in baking paper and an ancient cake box I've had lurking in my cupboard, waiting for an important occasion. Of course no gift is complete without a label. I simply stamped the word LOVE on it and voila!



180g ground almonds
120g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp natural almond extract
pinch of salt
2 egg whites
1tbsp honey
100g flaked almonds
Icing sugar

Turn oven on at 160

Mix almonds, sugar, lemon zest, almond essence and salt and rub together with finger tips

Whip egg whites and honey until firm peaks form. Fold egg mixture into the almond/sugar mix to make a paste.

Make small balls of the paste (approx 15-20) then roll in the flaked almonds and then the icing sugar.

Place on line baking paper and bake for 14 - 18 mins - they should remain very pale and chewy in the centre.

Leave to cool before devouring!

2 comments:

  1. they look yum
    i don't see him as a contemplate his navel kind of guy though!!

    ReplyDelete