Monday 15 November 2010

butternut squash and chestnut soup


Today was a beautiful winters day. We woke up to a hard frost which thawed into a glorious, crisp, clear, sunny day. Perfect for striding across the common rather than shopping in Sainsburys! This sign that winter is truly on its way led me into the kitchen at lunchtime to make one of my favourite soups. It has such a thick, velvety texture its irresistible and now I've enough to last me a couple more frosty days.

To make:

Soften 1 medium onion in a pan

Add a peeled and diced butternut squash, pour over some water (enough to soften the squash in but not too much water as the texture is part of the appeal of this soup) salt, pepper, some herbs and a stock cube

Add the secret weapon, a can of Merchant Gourmet's pureed chestnuts (available in most supermarkets). Bring to the boil and let bubble gently till the squash has cooked, then whizz in the blitzer to make smooth.

This is how I make it as hubby is vegetarian, then I add bits of bacon and pumpkin seeds as decoration. For those who do appreciate the flavour of meat, add some lardons when you are frying the onions it makes the soup taste even better

3 comments:

  1. Yum. This sounds and looks lovely....I know what I'm cooking later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, just letting you no that you won the Lisa stickley book over at www.thishomesweethome.blogsptot.com !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. Ive had snow already where I live and its freezing so this would be perfect. Butternut squash is one of my favourite vegetables X

    ReplyDelete